During Barack Obama’s time in the White House, he allowed America’s enemies to walk all over us. Now that Donald Trump is in office, however, he has been letting foreign powers know that they can no longer mess with the U.S.
The Hill reported that Trump’s Secretary of Defense James “Mad Dog” Mattis reinforced this point this week when he indicated that the U.S. will strike the Syrian regime again if it uses sarin gas.
“We’re on the record and you all have seen how we reacted to that, so they would be ill-advised to go back to violating the chemical convention,” Mattis said. He went on to say that it was clear Syria has weaponized chlorine, but added that he doesn’t have evidence of sarin use.
“We’re even more concerned about the possibility of sarin use,” he said. “I don’t have the evidence. What I’m saying is groups on the ground, [nongovernmental organizations] NGOs, fighters on the ground said that sarin has been used. So we are looking for evidence. I don’t have evidence.”
This came a day after Mattis discussed his plans for the military with GOP lawmakers.
“I’m not subtle,” Mattis said. “I need to make the military more lethal. Some people think I’m supposed to be an equal-opportunity employer.”
This comes after Fox News reported that a top U.S. military official just confirmed that the military defeat of ISIS could be just “weeks” away. U.S. Central Command General Joseph Votel said this while speaking at Jordan’s National Defense School on Monday.
“The timeline for the military defeat of ISIS can now be measured in weeks,” Votel said, going on to warn that there is still “very tough fighting” going on in the Middle Euphrates River Valley.
It had preciously been reported that the terrorist group has lost 98 percent of the land it once held — with half of ISIS’ so-called “caliphate” having been recaptured since President Trump took office. These gains are what led to Votel’s assessment came after changes in the rules of engagement, instituted over the last year.
“The rules of engagement under the Obama administration were onerous. I mean what are we doing having individual target determination being conducted in the White House, which in some cases adds weeks and weeks,” said retired Air Force Lt. Gen. David Deptula, the former head of U.S. Air Force intelligence. “The limitations that were put on actually resulted in greater civilian casualties.”
SHARE this story if you support what the Trump administration is doing!